The Warren Alpert Foundation Prize, in association with Harvard Medical School, recognizes and honors one or more scientists, physicians and researchers whose scientific achievements have led to the prevention, cure or treatment of human diseases or disorders, and/or whose research constitutes a seminal scientific finding that holds great promise of ultimately changing our understanding of or ability to treat disease.
Nominations are accepted from physicians and scientists from around the world. U.S. and non U.S. citizens are elgible to be nominated.
Self nominations are not accepted.
Nominees must be living.
Nominations are submitted on line. The on-line nomination form for the Prize must include the following information:
- Contact information for the nominee and nominator.
- Optional additional nominees (if applicable).
- A suggested citation for the award (maximum fifty words).
- Description of the nominee's research as it relates to the nomination. Include the top five bibliographical references related to the nominations. Joint nominations are permitted.
- An explanation of why you are nominating this person or group over others who have made significant contributions in the same area of research.
- If nominating an individual, comment on whether it is appropriate to share this prize. If so, please describe their contributions.
- Two letters of support.
- CV of the nominee(s).
Nomination submissions for the 2019 Warren Alpert Foundation Prize are currently being accepted. Deadline for submissions is November 2nd, 2018.
The value of the prize is U.S. $500,000 (to be split equally if more than one recipient is selected), a citation and plaque.
A special scientific symposium in honor of the recipiet(s) is held each year on the first Thursday in October at Harvard Medical School.
History of the Prize
The prize was established in 1987 by the late philanthropist and businessman, Warren Alpert and the Warren Alpert Foundation. The Warren Alpert Prize is given internationally and since its inception, seven Nobel Prize winners have received the award. The prize is administered in concert with Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts and the Warren Alpert Foundation, located in Providence, Rhode Island. An annual scientific symposium is held at Harvard Medical School each fall in honor of the recipient(s).
For more information about the prize:
Harvard Medical School
25 Shattuck Street, Room 101
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
For questions about the Foundation, please contact the Warren Alpert Foundation.